top of page




Details of the description and parameters for each of the following can be found in ESSP/ECE Collective Agreement, UAD Guidelines, or Board Policy 411.



Board policy 411 includes absences related to Attending Funerals, Legal Commitments, Post-Secondary Graduation Exercises (1 day), Examinations (0.5 to 2 days), External Educational Committees, Personal (1 day), Religious Holy Days, Inclement Weather, and Absences with Loss of Salary and Benefits. (L Article 16)


1 Personal Day (L10.02)

For reasons other than illness. May not be used to extend existing holidays. Not the same as the personal day in board policy 411.


1 Moving Day (L10.03)

For moving to a new place of residence.


3 to 5 Bereavement Days (L10.04)

For death of parent, child, spouse/partner, grandchild, sibling and miscellaneous personal bereavement.


2 Family Responsibility Days (L10.05)

To attend to family emergencies that require their urgent personal attention.


2 Birth/Adoption Days (L Article 20)

For an education worker who is not eligible for pregnancy leave absences occurring at the time of the birth or adoption of their child.


1 to 11, plus 120 Illness/Sick Days (L Article 29)

Full-time employees (permanent or long term) are allocated 11 days at 100% and 120 days at 90% with the ability to carry over unused 100% days to top-up the 90% days in the following year. Each carry over day can top up 10 90% days.


1 to 5 Unpaid Absence Days (UAD)

UAD will not normally include the one week period following the start of each semester, PA days, the week prior to the start of exams and during the exam period, or the weeks surrounding March break. Guidelines and request forms available in schools.




Special Leave (L11.01) 

(HR001 form -  ONLY available in school office - triplicate form)

An Education Worker taking a full semester leave will receive 50% of his/her annual salary while teaching and 10% of his/her annual salary on the 25th day of the first month of the leave.


Fixed Term Leave (L11.02)

(HR001 form - ONLY available in school office - triplicate form)

Leave without pay may be granted by the Board to a teacher who wishes to teach for only one (1) semester in a school year, or to a teacher who wishes to teach on a part-time timetable for a full academic year, or some combination of these, or to a teacher who wishes to take a leave of absence for one (1) full academic year.


Pregnancy/Maternity/Parental (L11.03, C8.00) 

(HR001 form - ONLY available in school office - triplicate form)

A Supplementary Employment Benefit (SEB) plan to top up their E.I. Benefits for eight (8} weeks of 100% salary.

Maternity / Parental Leaves

Application forms for Maternity/Parental leave are available at each school site and the District 18 office. The form is called an HR 001 and should be available through your school’s Office Coordinator.

Employment Insurance information is available at

Benefit information is available through OTIP (Click Here)


Please see the following documents for help with the application process and steps that must be taken when it comes to maternity/parental leave.

Compassionate Care/Family Medical Leave/Critically Ill Child Care Leave (L11.06, C8.00) (HR001 available in school office)

“Compassionate Care Leave” means an unpaid leave taken for the purposes of caring for or supporting a family member who has a serious medical condition with a significant risk of death within twenty-six (26) weeks. A compassionate Care Leave may be taken for up to eight (8) weeks. SEB and top-up are available for members who are eligible for the EI benefit.

MaternityParental Leave  Roadmap 2023 (1).jpg
bottom of page